Birthday Ride

Last Sunday was another birthday, and another training ride. Once again I headed out toward the ocean. Like the week before, I worked my way out to Ventura from Studio City. This time I decided to take the more direct route.

The ladies at the Old Susana Cafe are getting to know me well. I stopped there again for breakfast and a rest. This week the climb over the Santa Susana Pass was even easier. The practice is paying off. The other reason it was easier is because I started my ride earlier, and the weather was not nearly as hot.

From the cafe I worked my way west across Simi Valley, then through Moorpark, and out along the old Highway 118 through beautiful farmland. The ocean air kept me cool, and the smell of lemon blossoms was refreshing. The ride was not easy, and as I got closer to the ocean, the cool air turned into a wind that slowed me down, but it did keep me from getting too hot.

I arrived in Ventura at 11:30. A Razzmatazz at Jamba Juice put some energy back in my body, and I relaxed in the cool gray fogginess of Ventura. In total I had ridden my bike for 4 1/2 hours and covered about 62 miles.