Santa Barbara Zoo or Bust


Well, the vote came in, and I was off. The results of your votes on the blog sent me pedaling for the Santa Barbara Zoo. From my house to the zoo is about 95 miles, but since I didn't have anyone to meet me and take me home, I had to change plans. I ride a lot, but I could not do 95 miles each way in one day. Instead I started in Ventura, and from there I rode up the coast to the zoo in Santa Barbara.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining. It was not foggy like my last ride. I had spectacular weather. There was no wind to slow me down.

Along the way I saw a scout troop from Castaic working on their merit badge for surfing, so I stopped and talked to some of those boys. It was fun to get off of my bike and relax on the beach for a few minutes. I could not stay too long, because I was just starting my ride, and there were many miles to go before I reached Santa Barbara, and I had to ride back to Ventura.

Once I reached Santa Barbara I took a photo of myself in front of the zoo, and then I rode off to get some lunch. I needed more energy before I started the return journey. I have a favorite beach shack on the sand by Santa Barbara City College, so I sat and had a quesadilla and an ice tea before heading south.

By 2:15 I was back in Ventura. It was a great training ride, and I had a gorgeous day riding along the coast of California. I am looking forward to all of the great scenery as I ride all the way from San Francisco.

Questions: I have a lot of questions this time. Try to answer them, and send your response to me at cesblogger@sbcglobal.net


#1 for Kindergartners and 1st Graders: I rode past the beach, and I saw a lot of sand. Please email me at least five words that rhyme with the word sand.

#2 for upper grades: I started my ride in Ventura and I finished in Santa Barbara. What landmark does each of these cities have? Hint: 4th graders study these.

#3 - Grammar Lesson: Can you rewrite the paragraph from above so that there are only three sentences instead of five?

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining. It was not foggy like my last ride. I had spectacular weather. There was no wind to slow me down.

#4 - Time: My ride started at 9:15 AM. I ended my ride at 2:15 PM. During the ride I stopped to take a break for 20 minutes, to take my picture at the zoo for 15 minutes, to eat lunch for 40 minutes, and I took another break on the ride home for 15. How long was I actually riding my bike during that time?

#5 - Geography: Look on a map and find two towns between Santa Barbara and Ventura

Let's see who can answer some or all of these questions. Send me your answers at cesblogger@sbcglobal.net

Catch you next time.