Ups and Downs of Cycling









When you see the "**" next to a sentence, that means there will be a question. Check below, and then submit your answer by clicking on my email address. Then I will know who answered and when they sent in their answer. You can also click on the email to send any comments you may have.








My training ride this weekend was not nearly as long as my last few, but it was still a lot of work. This weekend I ahd to do training for hills. The ride along California's coastline in beautiful, and it is spectacular, but there are many mountains and the ride goes up and down more than a Six Flags rollercoaster. That means I need to have strong legs to move me, my bike, and my gear up hills and along coast.








This weekend I spent many hours going up and then down, then up, then down, and on and on. I started by climbing from the floor of the San Fernando Valley to Mulholland Drive.** This road winds along the top of the Santa Monica Mountains, and it divides the San Fernando Valley from Hollywood and Downtown Los Angeles.








As I rode along the crest of the mountains the foggy weather kept me cool, but it also made it difficult to see. My arms had drips of water, but it was not raining. I pedaled along Mulholland for a few miles, and then I turned onto Woodrow Wilson Dr.** The fog was so thick that my wheels were damp, and the brakes on my bike did not work very well.** Woodrow Wilson Dr. took me downhill, and then I climbed back up to Lake Hollywood before I coasted down to Warner Brothers' Studios.








I cruised along past Walt Disney** Studios and through Griffith Park past Travel Town, around the Los Angeles Zoo, and I went by the Gene Autry Museum.** About 90 minutes into my ride I reached the Alcove Cafe where I had some breakfast and relaxed for a while. I knew I had to do some more climbing, so I did not eat very much. I did not want to upset my stomach, but I needed some energy, so I had a bite and let my legs relax before starting the next ascent.**



The next hill led me past the old mansions of Hollywood Stars and up to a place where you can see the stars. The foggy photo of my bike in front of this building is one of the questions below. Can you answer it?




The new challenge I took on the way down was to go on the dirt tracks. This was a little scary and it took a lot of energy for going downhill. I had to go slowly because there were children, dogs, and people walking on the trails. I had to keep up my speed so I didn't get stuck in the sand. Even though I was going down a hill, it was still very tiring.




Once I got back to the pavement I was able to ride on through Hollywood, past the Capitol Records building (see the photo and the question below). Then there was one more climb up and over the Cahuenga Pass before I got back home.







Questions: If you have an answer or several answers to submit please send your responses to cesblogger@sbcglobal.net I also welcome any of your comments.







#1. Who was William Mulholland? Why was he an important part of California history - especially Los Angeles?




#2. Who was Walt Disney? Why was he an important part of California history - especially Los Angeles?




#3. Who was Gene Autry? Why was he an important part of California history - especially Los Angeles?




#4. Who was Woodrow Wilson? He was not part of California history. For what is he famous?




#5. I used the word "ascent" in my blog. Give me a synonym for the word ascent.




#6. Can you name the building behind my bike in the foggy photograph?




#7. I mentioned the Capitol Records building in Hollywood, and there is a photo of it above. It was built in 1954, and it was the first circular office building. Many people say it is supposed to look like a stack of LPs. What is an LP? and what do the letters stand for?