Day Five: Friday, October 10th




Morning - Afternoon:

.

Yesterday's east day has paid off. It has been avoid day of riding with wonderful weather - again, gentle terrain, and calm traffic. Leaving Los Osos, the sun was in my face, and it felt good warming the chilly coastal air. The oatmeal from breakfast (homemade with brown sugar and real cream - better than camp oatmeal) gave me slow steady energy. In just a short while I had ridden in to San Luis Obispo and worked my way back out to the ocean at Pismo Beach. As I looked out from the bluffs at the north end of the bay, I could see the sand dunes and soft beaches of the Pismo area. Riding onward, I remembered that sand dunes are formed by wind and roll like waves. This meant a lot of little ups and downs as well as gusts of wind. The road took me inland, and soon I was past the dunes and into the fields of lettuce and other vegetables. The temperature inland was warmer, but not bad. I had one big climb to get into Lompoc. Of course, after Big Sur it was pretty easy. Once I reached Lompoc, I stopped for lunch before continuing over the coastal mountains to get back to the Pacific. I am having one more order of yellowtail, and then I will go across the street to a Farmer's Market to get some things for dinner. Questions coming after I get to camp.


Afternoon - Evening:

.

I am sitting next to the lagoon at Refugio State Beach watching the sunset. I just ran into a teacher from Live Oak here camping with her family. I can tell I am close to home. The ride from lunch in Lompoc was good. The wind was very helpful because it was at my back. I could even coast uphill! Although it was another climb, it was slow and gradual, so it was not too difficult. After I reached the top, it was an east ride to the Pacific. I stopped at the Gaviota Rest Area, and then headed another nine miles south to camp. Unfortunately, the camp store no longer exists. Glad I picked up some things at the Farmer's Market in Lompoc.

.

Questions:


1. Map skills: What is the name of the air force base by Lompoc?


2. Today I rode 20 miles, then another 12 before a break. Then I rode 31 miles before I stopped in Lompoc for sushi. After sushi I rode to camp. That was 28 miles. How many miles did I ride today?


3. Upper grades: figure out the answer to number two, and then calculate my average speed. When I subtract the time for breaks, I rode for 6.5 hours.