Day Six: Saturday, October 11th


Pitures:
.
Santa Cruz Island on the Horizon
.
Montecito Coastline
.
.

What started as a windy night turned warm after the moon rose into the sky last night. I actually got a good night's rest in the tent. When I awoke this morning, the sun was shining and the wind was blowing. Since my ride today is short, my morning was slow and easy. I made breakfast as the sun lit Santa Cruz Island. The waves washed softly onto the sand, and people around the camp were out walking and getting ready to scuba dive. A little after 9 AM I was on the road. About ten miles into the day ,I was in Goleta, and I stopped for a break at Starbuck's. There I charged up my devices, and I had something other than oatmeal. The day has been a casual one. I only have about ten miles to go, and it is only 1 PM. I also contacted a friend in Carpenteria, and I will be able to stay there instead of camping. That is good because I heard from other cyclists that Carpenteria was damp and wet in the morning. I have met many other cyclists, and they are from all over. At camp last night was a man from Ireland who started riding his bike from Boston three months ago. Along the road yesterday I talked with a guy from British Columbia. He had been cycling for 53 days. I will be glad to get home after a week.

Questions:

1. Lower Grades: which is longer, three months or 53 days?

2. Upper Grades: I saw Santa Cruz Island this morning. What tribe of Indians used to live on the islands and along the California Coast?

3. Many 4th graders read a book about one of these Indian girls who is stranded on an island. What is the title of that book by Scott O'dell?

4. Everyone: I mentioned British Columbia. It is a province (like a state) in what country? What is the capital of British Columbia? (it is not the biggest city)Catch you on Monday.