Day Two: Tuesday, October 7th






Pictures:

Garapata State Park,
Campsite,
Fisherman's Warf,
Artichoke
.
.
.
.
.
Tuesday Morning - Afternoon:




Time for lunch.

I am on the north end of Monterey at Starbuck's having a sandwich and some juice. I am also charging my equipment. Once I leave Monterey, the signals may be weak.


This morning I got up and had my oatmeal. I broke down the campsite and packed the gear. The riding began. The 40 miles to Monterey were not too difficult, but I added some extra hills with a bad turn. Once I was back on track all was good. Along the way I met some other cyclists, and we rode together for a few miles. Now it is time to relax for a while. While the batteries charge, I will give my legs a break and answer emails. There are still over 30 miles to go, and those miles will be a lot of ups and downs. The views will be beautiful, but I will have to work for them. I will try to post some questions later, but while I am along the Big Sur coast it may be hard to communicate. I'll write more as soon as I can.




Tuesday Evening:



I thought the ride from Monterey to Big Sur would be very difficult. However, once I was over the hill between Monterey and Carmel, the next 26 miles went along well. Of course it was not easy. I had to climb over big mountains, and I had to face some strong winds. After a long climb up a mountain I got to coast downhill for over a mile. This was not too easy though. The strong winds made me have to watch my balance and keep my speed down. Once I reached the bottom I had to start climbing again, and now the strong wind was in my face. The scenery along this stretch gives me good energy to face the challenges. The highway hugs cliffs where I can see secret coves with waves crashing against the rocky shore. Other views let me watch the cows graze in pastures that flow out to the ocean. It is very relaxing to watch acres of kelp floating on the waves as the ocean rocks it up and down. These views really made the rough ride more soothing.


Now, I am enjoying dinner on the banks of the Big Sur River before I ride the last few miles to camp.


Questions:


Lower Grades:


#1) Today my ride took me up 100 feet, then 250 feet. Later I climbed 1000 feet and then another 150 feet. How many feet did I climb?


#2) Today I rode by a heron. What kind of animal is a heron?


Upper Grades:


#3) We discovered my wheel has a circumference of almost 84 inches. How many feet do I travel every time my wheel goes around once?


#4) I pedaled past the mission where Father Juniperro Serra is buried. What mission is that?


#5) Who was Serra?


Everyone:


#6) Today I passed Point Lobos. Robert Louis Stevenson was inspired by the forest and secret coves. He wrote a famous novel from these ideas. What is the title of the novel?