Sunday Morning in San Francisco



Here are some great shots from my walk along the marina in San Francisco. The weather is great. After a little rain on the drive yesterday, the skies are clear and beautiful. The sun is shining, and it is a warm Sunday morning. I hope this weather stays with me all the way down the coast.

I want to give a big thanks to everyone who has sent their good wishes and thoughts to me. The ride seems so much more achievable having all those emails and comments. Also, thanks to those who have emailed answers. There have been great answers to the questions, and I enjoy hearing from you. Hope to get more along the road.

Today is a day to relax and enjoy San Francisco. I hope to do a lot of walking around the city. Of course tonight I will have to get all of my gear together and be ready to roll first thing tomorrow morning. Looking forward to talking to all of you during the week.

Questions:

1. Of course the picture of the bridge is easy to recognize. What is the name of the island in the other picture?

2. How many feet long is the Golden Gate Bridge?

3. When was the Golden Gate Bridge opened? and how old is it now?

4. Here is a question for the upper grades. I know the 5th graders just finished a story about earthquakes, so you can try this one, but I am sure there are some other grades who can do this as well:
a. What year was the great San Francisco Earthquake?
b. I am staying in the Marina District. This area was originally all swamps until they filled it in with dirt and made a neighborhood. During an earthquake, this land here moves like l liquid. What is the scientific term for earth when it moves like a liquid?