Day One Monday Oct. 6, 2008


It has been a good day. I may not have said that if you asked me at 1:00 PM. The morning was very challenging. There were lots of hills, and many of them were steep. The weather was good for riding. Foggy and cool as well as bursts of sunshine. The views of the rocky coast and crashing waves helped keep me pedaling. The area between San Francisco and Santa Cruz is very empty. Even though I was only an hour from a major city, the coast is sparsely populated. There were very few stores or gas stations, and there were a lot of beaches, but they were only for picnics. They had no snack bars or even campgrounds. Finally I made it to Santa Cruz. Now I am having dinner, charging my gps and phone, and enjoying sitting still. I have a few more miles to ride to the campground - Brighton Beach. I think I will sleep well tonight. Thanks for all the emails.

There have been lots of great answers to my questions. Are you ready for more?
Lower grades
1. For a snack I had orange juice (220 calories), fig newtons (330 calories), and a banana (125 calories). How many calories did I eat at snack?
2. San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay. Which of these cities have the same number of syllables?

Upper Grades
3. My wheel has a diameter of 27 inches. What is the circumference of my wheel?
4. I rode 80 miles to Santa Cruz. If I subtract my breaks from my hours on the road, I was actually pedaling for 6.5 hours. What was my average speed to the nearest tenth?

Everyone - including parents
5. There is a photo from Pescadero State Beach. What does the word pescadero mean?
6. If you attended U C Santa Cruz, what would your school mascot be?
7. I had breakfast at Mel's Diner. What popular movie was filmed here?
It then became a popular telvision show with a different name.

AS THE SUN GOES DOWN:
I pulled into camp at Brighton State Beach about 7 PM. My first task was to set up camp, so I unloaded my gear, set up my tent, and got cleaned up. While I was doing those things, several others cyclists said hello. There were a total of 6 or 7. One talked with me about his ride. He started in Vancouver Canada. He has been riding since the first of September, and he is going all the to the border of Mexico. I think there are a few guys in his group. After talking and cleaning up, I sat down to plan the ride for Tuesday. The stove was warming some water for hot chocolate, and I was eating my leftover tuna melt and soggy fries from dinner. They actually tasted very good under the half moon and starlight. I planned my next day, finished my cocoa, and cleaned up. Now I will send off this latest blog and try to rest up for tomorrow.